Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Review Wednesday: It Runs At Night by L. Danny Perez

29727858
Title: It Runs At Night (The Water Boils #1)
Author: L. Danny Perez
1st Date of Publication: March 23, 2016
ISBN9781523850051
# of Pages: 98
Genre: Young Adult Short Story
Age Rating: 13 

Buy on Amazon


Book Description:
After her brother Federico goes missing, Lolita embarks on a lonely journey through the valleys of Mexico to find him and earn her family’s forgiveness. Deep into the valley she loses her way and soon realizes that she is not alone. As day turns into night, Lolita becomes more certain of what she must do to stay alive and find her brother. Does she have what it takes to survive the darkness?


Point of View: 1st person- Carolina "Lolita"

Goodreads Rating: 4.00
My Rating: 4.15

 
Part of the Book that Caught My Attention: Both
View on the Cover: The color scheme of the book is interesting and shows that the books is about a dark matter. It shows that it is the girl's fault because she has her head fallen down as if she is regretting something.
View on Title: The title made me wonder what is the "It" that runs at night. It became very intriguing and I had to know.

Pros:
  • I really enjoyed the writing style of this short story. It's very similar to the way I write when I write fictional pieces. The style of the writing is engaging and makes the book easy and it seems like it goes so fast when you read it.
  • I love Lolita's character. She has a strong sense of responsibility which allows her to be brave. You're able to empathize with her, especially if you (the reader) have a younger sibling. You get in her head and understand her reactions to everything a lot better.
  • I enjoyed the use of Spanish in both language and culture because I have some knowledge of both and understood the Spanish words used and the events that were mentioned.
  • I also thought the use of the whispering voice was interesting and mysterious, which makes me wonder who or what is that voice.
Cons:
  • I wish it was longer because it felt so short, but that's also because it's a short story. I knew what I signed up for, but by the end of it, it made me beg for more.
  • The only thing that really bothered me is that everyone put the blame of Federico's absence on Lolita even though she is only a child herself. This is what forces/pushes her to go and save her brother.

L. Danny Perez's Website:
Other Recommendations:
Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall

No comments:

Post a Comment