Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Review Wednesday: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

11235712Title: Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)
Author: Marissa Meyer
1st Date of Publication: January 3, 2012
ISBN: 9780312641894
# of Pages: 390
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Age Rating: 13 (Death, Bullying)

Buy it on Amazon

Book Description:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

Setting: New Beijing in Futuristic Earth
Point of View: 3rd person- Linh Cinder

Goodreads Rating: 4.14
My Rating: 4.35

 
Part of the Book that Caught My Attention: Both
View on the Cover: Well, I have a thing for shoes but this heel is very classy-looking (and I have a pair just like it myself). The part that really peeked my interest was the metal bones, which made me think she was a cyborg.
View on Title: The script is pretty interesting and intricate. When I think of the word cinder, I think of dirt and dust such as the cinder from a fireplace. I figured it was about a Cinderella character.

Pros:
  • First off, I think the cover and title together work perfectly to show what the main character is by name and what's she is made of.
  • I think the characters are very well encapsulated in this fantasy rendition when comparing it to the original fairytale. Plus, cyborgs are cool and Cinder is a mechanic, a cyborg mechanic. Instead of talking to animals like the original tale, Cinder talks to androids and machines which makes the story more unique. Plus, she's funny. She's like a guy's dream girl, or at least I would think. She is the "man" to go to, which is funny because Prince Kai originally thinks Cinder is a male.
  • For Cinder's family, I have specific feelings for each one and allows the characterization of Cinder to flourish. It stays true to the fairytale in family relationships for the most part....
    • I love how Cinder's younger sister, Peony, likes Cinder to show that Cinder is not completely hated, which makes her a little more likeable. Plus, Peony gave Cinder the motivation to fend for herself.
    • Cinder's stepmother, Adri, and older stepsister, Pearl, despise Cinder as the original tale goes. But, wow they are really cruel.
  • Prince Kai is pretty awesome from the characterization. He does not seem too judgmental and he is willing to sacrifice his life for his country. That's the kind of leader that I wish the United States had.
  • I think it's interesting how it's set in China in what they call New Beijing in the Eastern Commonwealth, which adds diversity to the literature world.
  • There is a lot left hanging and hinted at when it continues to talk about Princess Selene and it constantly makes you want to read to the next book. (Good thing every book for the series has been published).
Cons:
  • I so wish this was in first person. I was a little upset that it wasn't, but after I read more of the series a year ago I understood the reasoning behind the third person.
  • I don't think Queen Levana is a con, but she is a villain and a really good one. She is hot and tries to hide her imperfections through a power that Lunars have that is called glammer. She reminds me of Regina George from Mean Girls for some reason.
  • I wish there was more characterization of Prince Kaito because he seems to be a really decent and smart guy, but there is not much to base on.



Critics' Reviews:
“First in the Lunar Chronicles series, this futuristic twist on Cinderella retains just enough of the original that readers will enjoy spotting the subtle similarities. But debut author Meyer's brilliance is in sending the story into an entirely new, utterly thrilling dimension.” ―Publishers Weekly
“Fairy tales are becoming all the rage, with the TV shows Once Upon a Time and Grimm spinning them through a modern filter. The 26-year-old Meyer's debut novel Cinder, though, combines a classic folk tale with hints of The Terminator and Star Wars in the first book of The Lunar Chronicles young-adult series due out Jan. 3.” ―USAToday.com
“This series opener and debut offers a high coolness factor by rewriting Cinderella as a kickass mechanic in a plague-ridden future.” ―Kirkus Reviews

Marissa Meyer's Website:
http://www.marissameyer.com/

Other Recommendations:
Splintered by A.G. Howard
Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

2 comments:

  1. I read this book a while back and really loved it! I'm hoping to get to the second book soon.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh if you loved the first book, you'll love the sequels. Check out my review of Scarlet to see what I think of it.

      http://axarr.blogspot.com/2016/05/review-wednesday-scarlet-by-marissa.html

      Delete