Thursday, November 16, 2017

Marissa Meyer's "Renegades" Book Discussion

***This event occurred on November 15, 2017, from 7:00-9:00pm at Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park, WA.***

Buy on Amazon


    28421168
  • Marissa Meyer talked about how Renegades was a long but rewarding journey. She had many good days but many bad days.
    • She likes to read in her free time to inspire more writing. She told the group, "There are times when I am reading a book and I feel like the writer makes it looks so easy. But, I know logically that it doesn't work like that." At least I don't feel alone when it comes to my struggles with writing. I'm sure that other writers feel comfort after her comment.
  • Marissa started talking about the process of writing Renegades. She first came up with the idea that during her Lunar Chronicles Scarlet tour in February 2013. She passed a construction zone with a location sign in view, but she thought it said "Coming Soon Hero School." The idea came to be a similar structure as the Lunar Chronicles where a male superhero would fall in love with a female super villain, but they wouldn't know that they were arch enemies.
  • The novel continued to fall flat on her expectations so she set the book aside a few times so she could finish the Lunar Chronicles and Heartless for the next 3 years.
  • After four drafts of different plots and use of characters that fell flat and her deadline vastly approaching, she said she had a moment where she had to wallow in a little self-pity and watch Pride and Prejudice before calling her agent to explain the original idea.
  • She got the permission to make a stand-alone novel instead of a trilogy like she had originally signed her contract.
    • It cleared her head, which allowed her to finish her novel while making the book into a duology at the least.
  • When she was asked about her influences for the novel, she said, "All superhero books, movies, and TV shows, but more specifically X-men." She also said that Sailor Moon had a big impact in making the book because she loves the idea that enemies fall in love but also have secret identities.
  • We were able to ask some questions...someone asked what her go to snack was and she said wine. I say that sounds great!
  • I asked her what she does when she has writer's block and needs to clear her head. She told me that she likes to "Take a walk, bath or nap and even stare out the window as she draws what the characters in my book are doing."
  • She then signed our books!

Some pictures from the event
My view from my seat was pretty good.

I told her that I had a very hard time reading 3rd person POV until I read her Lunar Chronicles series

She said selfies were welcome! I was so happy!

My signed copy of Renegades. It says, "Do you have it takes?" And my answer is, "Heck yes!"

I am so happy. I have many of her books signed but this was the first time I met Marissa Meyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment