Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Review Wednesday: The Baller by Vi Keeland

*This is a book meant for adults due to some inappropriate content for people younger than 18.*
28671230
Title: The Baller
Author: Vi Keeland
1st Date of Publication: January 17, 2016
ISBN9781522858416
# of Pages: 284
Genre: New Adult
Age Rating: 17+ (Language and Sexual Content)

Buy on Amazon
Book Description:
The first time I met Brody Easton was in the men’s locker room.
It was my first interview as a professional sportscaster.
The famed quarterback decided to bare all.
And by all, I don’t mean he told me any of his secrets.
No. The arrogant ass decided to drop his towel, just as I asked the first question. On camera.
The Super Bowl MVP quickly adopted a new hobby—screwing with me.
When I pushed back, he shifted from wanting to screw with me, to wanting to screw me.
But I don’t date players.
And it’s not because I’m one of the few women working in the world of professional football.
I’d date an athlete.
It’s the other kind of player I don’t date.
You know the type. Good looking, strong, cocky, always looking to get laid.

Brody Easton was the ultimate player.
Every woman wanted to be the one to change him.
But the truth was, all he needed was a girl worth changing for.
Turned out, I was that girl.
Simple right?
Let’s face it. It never is.
There’s a story between once upon a time and happily ever after
And this one is ours.


Setting: New York, New York
Point of View: 1st person- Delilah Maddox and Brody Easton (and a surprise)

Goodreads Rating: 4.13
My Rating: 4.25

 
Part of the Book that Caught My Attention: Both
View on the Cover: The man sees to be very fit and attractive, but I want to see his face.
View on Title: There must be someone really good at playing ball. Or, maybe he is just cocky and thinks that he is so great at playing.


Pros:
  • This book is different than many of the books in the genre it resides in. It's really neat how it uses the idea of sportscaster and a football player. The main characters are really interesting
    • Delilah Maddox has been single for a good amount of time and has no intention of looking since she has had her heart broken by someone she truly loved. She is brand new to the newscaster world, but it's a man's world so that means she has to prove herself. She is spunky and really funny as she gives inappropriate names to people that she doesn't particularly like.
    • Brody Easton is a force to be reckoned with. He is a cocky football player and likes to give people a hard time especially female sportscasters. He doesn't let anyone in because he has been hurt by someone else just like Delilah has. He doesn't take "no" for an answer which makes the dynamic between him and Delilah pretty humorous.
  • The relationship that blossoms between Delilah and Brody is far from easy. Their first encounter was humorously inappropriate as Delilah tries to get an interview from Brody from the locker room after the game. They have to learn to depend on each other as any couple needs to do.
  • I like how the names of the football teams aren't real football teams but sound similar to ones that are real football teams. Brody is on the New York Steel team. It's like the Pittsburgh Steelers but modified.
  • The issue of drugs and alcohol is represented in the book and how it could ruin everyone you love (not only yourself). It is probably the most realistic part of the book and it wasn't hidden at all.
Cons:
  • The book seemed to repeat the same issues over and over again. It felt like the issues were being beaten to death. It became a little annoying and made the read a little difficult. It took me a little longer to get through this one than it probably could have been.

Vi Keeland's Website:
Other Recommendations:
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Fifty Shades of Gray by E.L. James
My Skylar by Penelope Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment