Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Review Wednesday: Sinful Cinderella by Anita Valle

27812298
Title: Sinful Cinderella (Dark Fairy Tale Queen #1)
Author: Anita Valle
1st Date of Publication: September 15, 2015 
ISBN: 9781518811968
# of Pages: 156
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Age Rating: 13+

Buy on Amazon

Book Description:
And you thought the stepsisters were wicked....

I'm not who they think I am. A docile girl who meekly obeys her stepmother and stepsisters. Some kind of sick angel who cheerfully bears their mistreatment. That's what I WANT them to think. Because then they won't suspect what I'm really up to.

The ball, the prince - it's all part of my plan to come out on top. Stepmother and her demented daughters will pay for every floor I have scoured, every sneer I have borne. They don't know about the white magic, how I use it to enhance myself. They can't see that my heart is black as midnight, rotten as a poisoned apple.

They're about to find out.


Setting: Fictional kingdom
Point of View: 1st person- Cinderella

Goodreads Rating: 3.63
My Rating: 3.50

 
Part of the Book that Caught My Attention: Both
View on the Cover: Cinderella looks absolutely beautiful in a devious dark way. The black dress and the sharp jagged crown fit her dark presence.
View on Title: I really was intrigued by the title since it has some alliteration, specifically consonance, with the "s" sound. Why is Cinderella sinful anyway? What does she do?

Pros:
  • I liked the twist with Cinderella's character. She's a bad girl and only seems like a good girl for her own benefit.
  • I found it funny how Cinderella calls her fairy Godmother "Godnutter" which I have always perceived as a little crazy.
  • In this book, nothing is what it seems, which makes the reader want to read more.
  • This book obviously foreshadows Snow White, which I thought was very creative and makes me want to continue reading these novellas.
  • The ending was perfect in my opinion. I will not give any spoilers, but the concept of "what goes around, comes around" is at play. Nothing truly goes unpunished.
Cons:
  • I know this book is a novella, but I felt that it was really rushed and was too short for the story. It made me feel a little frustrated because I felt more could have been done with the plot.
  • Because the book was short, it lacked character development for all characters, even Cinderella herself.
  • I felt that Cinderella hearing about her mom was a crucial part of the book and it was barely touched upon. This could have become a large part of what could make the book feel fuller.

Anita Valle's Website:
http://www.anitavalleart.com/

Other Recommendations:
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows
The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine

No comments:

Post a Comment