Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Life Update (Summer 2017-Spring 2020)

Yes, you saw that right. It has been about 3 years since I have posted an update. I had to step away for a multitude of reasons and had a lot of healing in order to be where I am today. Life has been such a roller coaster and I was on a downslope for a really long time. Now I am at the point of an uphill, despite it being quarantine.

Home
The last time I updated you all. I didn't actually have an actual home yet, which was tough and I almost went back home in Scranton, PA. Thankfully, I preserved and really have made a life here in the Pacific Northwest. I lived in Federal Way, WA, for a year and a half where I dealt with a lot of hardship with an abusive narcissistic boyfriend. I managed to get out of that situation a little over a year ago and have been on the road to healing a few months before that.
Now I live close to the water in Tacoma with my two cats that have completely opposite personalities. My tortoiseshell tabby, Calypso, is more like a dog and responds when called. Arlo, my long-haired cat, is very much like a cat in that he is completely antisocial with pretty much everyone. He just started being friendly with me, but I only think that's because I am the one feeding him. I should also be getting a gecko very soon, too, so I am really excited to add to my little family of animals.

Work
My last update told you that I was working as a travel bank teller/member service member but that ended up not panning out. That's okay though because I got a job as a technical writer/instructional designer which is so much fun. I am always learning so many new things by working with all kinds of companies. I still work for the same company and I work from home so it's nice to be able to travel to visit family and other places.

Traveling
Unfortunately, the last two years have not had a ton of traveling but I did do a small trip to Portland, OR, soon after moving to the  Pacific Northwest and a couple trips last summer (2019). The church I have been attending since moving here had a mission trip to Liberia, which I joined. That was such an experience and I am glad that I went on it. I've always wanted to do a mission trip and felt like this was an excellent first mission trip. I also got to take my brother and sister on a trip to the beach when I went to visit my family. That was a really fun trip that felt rejuvenating.
Fortunately this year despite the Coronavirus, I have a few trips planned. In August, I am heading to Hawaii for a week, which has been on the top of my list of places to visit. That would mark state #26 out of 50!
I am currently planning a trip to France just to dip my toes to see what it may be like if I end up doing a Europe tour later on.

Reading and Writing

I haven't been reading and writing as I wanted to over the past 3 years since I have been doing so much, but I have done some of both. I have been staying very up-to-date on my favorite authors and have been reading all of their newest books. I have even gotten to meet Veronica Roth who wrote the Divergent series, which I partially wrote about in my senior thesis. I thought that was pretty cool that I was able to meet her. I almost got to see Veronica Roth again in April and was hoping to see Suzanne Collins near the around same time, too, but Coronavirus changed that. I am also looking forward to more authors to come visit the Seattle-Tacoma area in the future.


Other Fun Stuff
Even though I lacked traveling in the last year, I marked something off my bucket list, which is scuba diving. That was such an experience and I am so excited that I live in an area where I can do that. Because of Coronavirus, not many people are out and about diving so I haven't been doing it as often as I like.




I also got another tattoo to add to my tattoo collection in memory of a close childhood friend who I lost a little over 2 years ago.
During the quarantine on nice days, you'll find me hammocking at the park with a book and a
blanket enjoying the sun!

Finally, I really did some book housekeeping activities, which include painting my bookshelf to match, stamping my books with a personalized stamper, adding plastic protective covers on my beloved hardcovers, and creating a personal library so that I can help friends find recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment