Thursday, May 11, 2017

Review Wednesday: My Skylar by Penelope Ward

22570432*This is a book meant for adults due to some inappropriate content for people younger than 18.*

Title: My Skylar
Author: Penelope Ward
1st Date of Publication: June 2, 2014
ISBN: 9781499764529
# of Pages: 312
Genre: New Adult
Age Rating: 17+ (Language and Sexual Content)

Buy on Amazon

Book Description:
Skylar was my best friend, but I secretly pined for her. One thing after another kept us apart, and I’ve spent the last decade in fear of losing her forever.

First, it was the cancer, but she survived only to face the unthinkable at my hands. Because of me, she left town. For years, I thought I’d never see her again.

But now she’s back…and living with him.

I don’t deserve her after everything I’ve put her through, but I can’t live without her. This is my last chance, because she’s about to make the biggest mistake of her life. I can see it her eyes: she doesn’t love him. She still loves me...which is why I have to stop her before it’s too late.

Setting: Several locations on the east coast of the United
Point of View: 1st person- Mitch and Skylar

Goodreads Rating: 4.36
My Rating: 4.50

 
Part of the Book that Caught My Attention: Cover
View on the Cover: It looks like a beach read. Why is the woman topless? What are the man's tattoo supposed to mean? Why does the cover show a somber tone?
View on Title: It seems a bit possessive. Why is the woman his?

Pros:
  • This is definitely a beach read. I really enjoyed it and I got it free, which made it even better.
  • This book had every possible sad story plot twist in it. All I will say is that it starts out with kids with divorced parents and then cancer, I won't spoil the rest of it. It made the book more interesting. Ward really knew how to make each scenario flow throughout the book.
  • The character I found really interesting was Charisma. I kind of hate her, but she is a genius.
  • The character development is done very well where it made the characters feel real. You can feel the raw emotions of both Mitch and Skylar. You can understand the motives of both characters and it makes you sympathize with them.
Cons:
  • I felt that the sad story plot twists became a little much once the Mitch and Skylar meet. It's a double edged sword, but the stakes were high for the both of them. It gave the notion that love can overcome anything, which is hard to believe.
  • Charisma was also a double edged sword. I really hated her and thought she was unnecessary.
  • Skylar's indecision really bothered me because that caused most of the problems when it came to her relationship with Mitch.


Penelope Ward's Website:
http://www.penelopewardauthor.com/
Other Recommendations:
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Fifty Shades of Gray by E.L. James
Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

No comments:

Post a Comment